|December 05, 2007|
Environment Profile - Hong Kong
|Governments, business and individuals in Hong Kong are all beginning to realise the need to protect our environment. The Government plans to invest millions of dollars in major initiatives for managing waste, improving water quality and reducing air pollution. These include the creation of an Eco Park for recycling; a joint plan by the Hong Kong and Central Chinese Governments to clean up shared water; the Hong Kong’s Action Blue Sky which aims to reduce the total amount of emissions and stop the deterioration of air quality in the region; and the implementation of the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme.|
There are over 65,000 factories in Mainland China owned by the Hong Kong enterprises. To meet the increasingly stringent regulatory regimes on environmental protection in the global market, Hong Kong companies recognise the need to adopt clean manufacturing and new environmental technologies. The Hong Kong Federation of Industries has launched a One Factory - One Year - One Environmental Project (1-1-1 Project) amongst the factory owners.
One of the fast growing and important markets for environmental technologies and related services is Mainland China. In order to meet the environmental targets stipulated in its State’s 11th Five-Year Plan (2006-2010), the Chinese government plans to spend US$17 billion on environmental protection. This presents huge business opportunities for Canadian companies to use Hong Kong to access for the China environmental market.
Solid Waste Management
In 2006, Hong Kong disposed of about 6.4m tonnes of municipal solid waste. On average, each person is discarding about 1.4kg per day with annual increases of about 3.5%. The three strategic landfills will be filled in the next five to eight years. In response to this pressing issue, the Hong Kong government announced a ten-year Municipal Solid Waste Management Policy Framework (2005-2014) to encourage waste reduction, separation & recycling.
One of the major initiatives is to build a new Integrated Solid Waste Management Facility. Six applicable technologies including Composting; Anaerobic Digestion; Incineration; Gasification; Combination of Mechanical and Biologic Treatment; and the Combustion of Fuel Derived from Waste have been identified for possible use in the proposed facility.
Eco Park, the 20 hectares of land to promote waste recycling and recovery is being developed with a capital investment of approx C$45 million. The first batch of lots is now ready for leasing. Other opportunities include the Landfill Extension Project proposed to be built in 2010 at a total capital cost C$1.2 billion. The project will probably incorporate design, build and operate elements. On hazardous waste treatment, the government is seeking potential operator who has expertise on clinical waste management for the existing Chemical Waste Treatment Facility.
While a small amount of waste was recycled domestically, Hong Kong exported 89% of recyclable waste to Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand and Indonesia. The recovered waste exported included waste paper, metals, glass and plastic and waste metals. There is huge demand of supplies of these recycled products for re-export from Hong Kong.
In Hong Kong, about 75% of sewage undergoes primary treatment under Stage 1 of the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS). The remaining 25% of the sewage virtually untreated is still being discharged into the Harbour. This is not sustainable environmentally and the government plans to invest about C$3 billion within the next 10 years to implement the HATS Stage 2 in two phases. Stage 2A (2008-2014) includes the provision of disinfection, the construction of a 130 meter deep tunnel to convey the untreated sewage to Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works, and the expansion of the existing chemical treatment capacity.
The government is now identifying the best tunnelling technologies and respective tender will be issued tentatively in 2008. Stage 2B will require the installation of biological treatment facilities. The government will look to public-private partnerships for a "design-build-operate" model for both phases. Canadian wastewater technologies and other related products might also prove useful in the successive stages of the HATS projects.
There is a small environmental equipment manufacturing industry in Hong Kong. Many of the technology and products are imported. The market is saturated by more than 60 domestic and international firms offering environmental and engineering services as well as consultancy works. It is desirable for Canadian firms to partner with these companies to capture niche markets both in Hong Kong and China.
Environmental products and services can often be sold through domestic private
Excerpts from: Environment Profile - Hong Kong, September 2007